You've Been Here This Many Times:

Friday, November 14, 2014

[I'm Not Fat, I'm Curvy: Guest Contributor]

I've always had a weight problem, but I never truly saw it as a problem until later.  When I was 15, I had surgery that would change my life.  It placed rods with bolts and screws along my spine for scoliosis.  Unfortunately, though diagnosed at 11, it was too late for braces or alternative therapies.  I was put on the sidelines from exercising and basically lived on a couch taking multiple medications and eating.  Before surgery I was at 150 pounds, a healthy weight for my height, and after the three months sitting stagnant I had gained 30 pounds and would soon be entering high school.

I've always been individual in dress and had a taste in Patsy Cline and 40's swing music.  Keep in mind, I lived in a small country town and this was not considered "normal" and my sophomore year the name calling began about not only my individualism but also my weight.  I would have cow noises made at me and I tarted finding food my friend.  I never told my parents and I would cry in my bedroom every night.  Food didn't call me a "fat b*tch" or push me against lockers.  The fat shaming, which caused extreme emotional and physical abuse at school, became so horrible I ended up dropping out.  I am 21 now and am finally finishing my GED as I have gotten my life back.

At my highest weight I was 265 pounds. At 19 I was prescribed a weight loss pill called Phentermine, which I later learned was a strong amphetamine.  I dropped 13 pounds the first week.  I weighed 200 pounds at this point and had become addicted.  The doctor stopped prescribing me the pills and I went back to old habits which led up to my final and highest weigh in.

--------------------------------------

One day, I woke up and looked in the mirror and said f^ck this, I am better than that. 
In one year I have lost a total of 90lbs.

To get an idea of this, here are my starting and ending stats along with progress pictures:

Starting Weight: 265lbs.

Dress Size: 24
Bust: 48"
Natural Waist: 56"
Hips: 53"

(190lbs)

(183lbs)

(180 lbs)

Ending Weight: 170-175lbs (fluctuating)

Dress Size: 14
Bust: 40"
Natural Waist: 24 1/2"
Hips: 39 1/2"

-------------------------------------------------------

Total Inches Lost: 43"
Total Weight Loss: 90-95lbs

----------------------------------------------------------


(170lbs)

---------------------------------------------------------------

So how did I do it?

I started by changing my diet to healthier eating.  I dropped 15 pounds which gave me more motivation.  Then I started working out.  First I started with the in-home program "Insanity" and shortly after joined a gym.  I was sore but fought through it.  After changing my diet, doing cardio, strength training, and only drinking water, I dropped to 195lbs in 7 months.  I literally cried tears of joy.  I plateaued at this point and started cheating on my diet for about a month but snapped back into it shortly after.

After a year I may not be at my goal weight, but I have gained muscle, lost fat and inches, and put away the past and considered them nothing but obstacles you have to overcome in life.  They do not interfere with my new happy and healthy life.  I will tell you that losing weight takes willpower and determination.  I didn't expect to see changes overnight or look for magic supplements.  I stopped making excuses and just did it.

Today, I am not upset with the number on the scale.  I am no longer considered obese at a weight of 170lbs and a healthy BMI due to muscle gain.  I am not fat anymore, I am curvy.

I am starting a Juice Fast today and will be following along with the blog and recording my progress! I am very optimistic as I have an final goal weight of 140lbs and know I can do it!

- Leanne Ott


1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Good on ya mate!!